Friday, October 06, 2006

My Socktoberfest Sock History

In keeping with the Spirit of Socktoberfest, here are the answers to my sock knitting "history." (If you can call a few months a history...). That being the case, I feel a little silly answering questions about my history, but in the spirit of the festivities, here goes:

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I started trying to make socks about a year ago, but actually completed a real, live pair only a couple of months ago. In the beginning, I tried to teach myself--totally confused. Took part of a class, didn't like the method used, didn't finish those. Tried to make a pair on DPN's, they were ugly, I frogged them before they had a chance to take an ugly little breath. Besides, those DPN's are too long and they poke me in the palms! Finally decided that since I was so comfortable with circulars, I would try the 2-circs method! Eureka! Finally a successful, completed pair! (no comments, please, about my obvious ADHD problems....)

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time? My first pair were done made from some very bright, rainbow-colored Regia. Since they are only about two months old, they have held up fabulously, if I do say so myself!

What would you have done differently? I would have started decreasing for the toes just a few rows sooner---they are just the teeniest bit too long.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? So far, I love the feel of Lorna's Laces and Koigu, though I haven't had a chance to finish a pair on the LL and Koigu I have stashed at the moment. Still trying to refine my skills a little before using my pretty stash!

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I have never crocheted socks....though I was tempted after I seemed to have such a hard time learning to knit them! I am now able to do socks on DPN's (found some great 5" ones!), but I am still plugging away with 2 circulars, as I like that method.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) Having not yet attempted a short-row heel, I would have to say that a flap heel is my very favorite :)

How many pairs have you made? I have completed one adult-sized pair, one baby-sized pair, and one tiny little mini-sock. I am now, finally, working on my second, regular-size pair!

I'm really hoping that this next pair will just flow off of my needles like water, fueled by the 10 gallons of HELL that I went through trying to finish those that came before them! I do love the process, though, and REALLY love the feel of those hand-knit socks!

>^,,^< >^,,^<