Friday, August 31, 2007

A fine day at Pt. Defiance

I've had a few days off from work this week (hooray!) and on one of those lovely days (it's always a lovely day when you don't have to work, right?), cute husband and I decided to head south to Tacoma and go to one of my favorite little zoos at Pt. Defiance. If you've never been there, it's on a point overlooking the Sound and surrounded by miles of forest, trails, park, gardens and a marina.

This zoo is one of my favorites because though it is small, it also has an aquarium with sharks, seahorses and tropical fish, as well as beluga whales, sea otters and polar bears up close and personal! A small zoo with a large proportion of exotic animals that you don't see every day.

Here's a few of the great things we saw on that awesome, sunny day:

Beluga whale flipping over as he swims by...
Frolicking sea otters...

A polar bear, as close as I ever want to get to one without glass between us...

Now here's something you don't see every day---swimming polar bear butt!



A gorgeous Bengal tiger---that camoflauge works so well, I had to look for him for a while...

Oh, and here's an exciting little find that was not in the zoo, but still a pleasant surprise nonetheless...

Yes, it's just a fast-food joint, but it's a fast-food joint from where I grew up! What the heck this one is doing here, two states away from Southern California? I have no idea, but they have great burgers, and we immediately pulled right in for lunch on our way to the zoo! And it even tasted like I remember.

Hey, it's nice to have a little taste of home once in a while, even if it is only a burger. The only one I know of far north of Los Angeles is in Monterey, CA, but I had no idea this one had snuck up way up here! I'm just hoping it is the scout for a later invasion to come!

As for knitting content, I have been doing some knitting over my few days off, but there are ends to be weaved in and no pictures taken yet, so zoo pics and fast-food finds will have to do for today.

I'm also taking this weekend to seriously consider what I want to do about my job. Though I've only been at this job for a couple of months, I fear the nurse boiler room operation is a bit of a soul-sucking flop. I am paid well for what I do, but I am a nurse because I really love to help people, and I am having my doubts about how much help is really being received by what we do there. The longer I am there, the more it seems like it's so much more about pleasing the contracted clients and the bottom line, rather than giving any value to all of their members that we call to try to help with their chronic health concerns.

I could go on and on, but it's a little complicated to explain. Let's just say that the job it not turning out to be exactly about how it was painted to me when I was hired, and it's a little demoralizing. I've never considered leaving a job this soon, but unfortunately, I can already see the writing on the wall about this one, and I'm not liking what I see. Although it's also hard to think about turning around so soon to get back on the job search and interview hassle, along with more training at another new job..Ugh. That thought alone is enough to keep me on the fence far longer than I should be!

If anyone has any words of wisdom for me, please let me know what you think. I know I will not be staying at this job permanently, no matter what. It's just a matter of trying to figure out how long I can stand it before I develop an even worse attitude about the work and run screaming from the building. No matter how much I hate this job, I do want to try and leave on a good basis. It's also about losing a good paycheck that I've already started to enjoy. But I can't help wondering sometimes, at what cost to my heartfelt feelings and goals about what kind of nurse I know I am and want to continue to be...

Life is a difficult dilemma sometimes. I guess I'll just keep knitting until I figure it out, but I think I'm just in that denial phase I go through when I know I have to do something unpleasant and want to live in happy denial for a while before I do it. Besides, I really don't want my health or sanity (lack of) to make the decision for me later!

Have a safe and fun holiday weekend, everyone! I'm going to the beach tomorrow (Yeah!) to watch the waves and smell the salty air and enjoy my weekend before my return to the nurse boiler room...