Monday, November 12, 2007

Slump Day

I'm in a slump.

And as such, it would be fair to say that any blog post written by someone in such a state will undoubtedly by somewhat, well,...slumpy. I'm just sayin' is all, so don't go blaming me at the end when you've been exposed to slumpiness and try to say no one warned you.

I'm declaring that today is the official, unofficial Slump Day. I need to name it and expose it, bring it into the open to air out----then maybe it will go away.

I don't know who named Wednesdays as the official "Hump Day," but I figure I have just as much right as anyone to name a day, especially one as hated and dreaded by almost everyone as Mondays. So it is done. Today is Slump Day, says I. At least for this week.

I've been feeling kind of "meh" about everything for the past couple of weeks. I'm not depressed, and I don't have a bad attitude--just not terribly interested in one thing or the other. Like knitting. Or blogging.....especially blogging. I've worked on my knitting projects a little, but not much motivation there. You might have noticed an absence of blog posts recently. I think about blogging, but then---nothing.

I'm really happy to have time to myself again, to not have to go to a job I hate and get yelled at by pinheads every day, to have time to read, catch up, relax, play with the cats. Hey, I've even cooked regularly over the past two weeks---happily and without grumbling---and despite my husband looking at me like I must have gone insane. However, it seems I'm not really inspired to do anything that requires the least bit of mental effort----and I mean the least bit! Like I said, a slump.

Maybe it's the dreaded transition, for me, from summer to winter. It seems that winter has just sort of ushered itself in around here, shoving fall right out of the way. Yep, straight to the drippy, wet, windy and cold. Slump.

At the end of each summer I live in denial for as long as possible. I hate winter. I wear my flip-flops and summer clothes until I get so cold that I feel like I'm stepping outside in my underwear---that's when I finally give up and break out the dreaded long sleeves and closed-toe shoes. This year, my toes and forearms never even got to see most of September. What happened to those supposed lovely sunny, crisp days of fall? Didn't see many of those this year. Just wet.drippy.windy.cold. Today is all of the aforementioned.
(Did I mention I hate winter?) Slump.

I guess I'm not the only one having a slump---went to the Madrona Fiber Arts site today to try to register for a class for the upcoming Winter Retreat in February '08. For those of you not familiar, Madrona is a knitting retreat held at a hotel in a local town, with 4 days of classes, tons of different teachers, gatherings, banquets, get-togethers, marketplace and lots of fibery fun. Registration opens at a precise time on a precise day on line, and classes fill up before you can even get connected to the registration page.

However, the Madrona registration program must be having a slump as well. When I attempted to register, I was greeted with a page that stated "Registration temporarily closed due to technical difficulties." The same thing happened last year, I might add. I know the truth. "Technical difficulties" is just a fancy techno-name for....that's right....a slump.

And BTW, as has happened for every year in the past I've tried to sign up for classes at Madrona, by the time I check back and registration is up again, all of the classes will be magically full. I've never gotten into a class that I wanted there in the 5 years I've been trying to register, so nothing out of the ordinary on that front. But very much in keeping with Slump Day!

In truth, I shouldn't even have been tempted to try to register for Madrona, yet again, cuz the classes are waaaaay too expensive. I didn't want to take one of their dumb ole' classes anyway.....Successful registration at Madrona would have gone counter to true slumpiness and proper, respectful celebration of Slump Day.

I'm done now. Have a slumpety day!