Sunday, April 01, 2007

Stash Flashin'!

It is well-known that April 1st is the day for fools and folly, but I heard a little rumor that it is also "flash your stash" day. So, in honor of the official day of both folly and flashing, I give you a partial offering of my stash---the sock portion. I present here before you, in all it's glorious ginormity, the genus Sock-Stashosaurus Rex....



Or in layman's terms, more freakin sock yarn than I can ever knit in an average lifetime! If anyone is counting (and I knew someone would have to...), there is enough sock yarn in this pile to knit approximately 37 pairs of socks. Keeping in mind that I knit between a speed of slow and molasses, I have absolutely NO hope of ever working my way through it all. That's okay, though. I feel that shopping for yarn in all of its various forms and varieties is reward in itself.

Admittedly, there are a few yarns here that I bought in my early, pre-school phase of my exposure to sock-knitting and yarns, and would probably not have chosen after further education and exposure to the wide, wonderful world of sock yarns. But I love all of them like own family (even the dysfunctional ones), and will find some way to make them all feel important and useful in some capacity

Now that I have purged myself of the shameful secret of my inability to say "no" to sock yarn, I can move on to recovery....

Yeah, right!

I'm going into sock yarn-buying rehab like Brittney Spears is going out to buy some underpants. It's just not going to happen, I'm sorry to say. (and I'm even more sorry to observe that the subject of both Brittney and her imaginary underpants found their way onto my blog, but that's another matter....).

So, if you happen to see me out shopping somewhere, and see me jones-ing near the sock yarn or fondling a fresh, new skein of sock yarn, please don't try to be a friend and talk me down, or smugly remind me how many I already have. It might get ugly. I will assure you that I don't have a problem, while reminding you that I know where your stash is and I have a camera! You will suddenly have a change of heart, we will both scurry away with our new-found scores, and we will keep each other's secret. Because friends roll like that.....and because you are probably a big ol' yarn ho, too! Happily ever after, and all that...

And all that goes double if you actually came with me to the yarn store to shop....

Happy April Fool's Day, and may your stash grow to ever-more-humongous proportions in the year ahead....

>^,,^< >^,,^ < >^,,^<