Sunday, June 24, 2007

When viruses (viri?) attack....

This is getting ridiculous. It has become apparent to me of late that my newest superpower is round up assorted viruses and fling them all over myself. ugh. Yep, hard to believe, but I started feeling those unwanted feelings coming on yesterday, and sure enough, woke up with a cough and a runny eye (singular....fun) this morning. Being able to be sick on a weekly basis is not exactly what I would have chosen personally for my superpower, but I guess it's mine for now and I'll have to embrace it. At least I seem to be gathering up assorted viruses, and not the same one every week. (Hey, I'm trying to find a positive in this...).

Actually, I believe I can attribute the onset of this cold to starting at a new job. I have a history of getting a cold some time within the first month of most new jobs I've ever started, at least in recent history. This is understandable-----you know, new germs and everything. But after my pre-job-start punishment of last weekend, I was hoping for a reprieve.

And for those of you who might be thinking it.....I even washed and/or sanitized my hands about 2,000 times more per day than usual, just to avoid such an occurrence, so it can't be blamed on that. (And it has not escaped me that I have actually been reduced to using the word "sanitized" on my knitting blog)

The funny part is, apparently I am not the only one this happens to! When speaking to a colleague at a prior job, she informed me that she, too, gets a cold every time she starts a job. I have since heard this from a few others as well.

I don't know why that makes me feel better. I guess I just don't want to think I'm the only one who acquires viruses as a skill at each new job I begin. To add to my purely anectdotal evidence, one of my fellow newbies at the job was out sick on Friday. See? Really unscientific evidence, but proof of my theory all the same. I say, the answer is to screen out all germy people from any jobsite. That's right! All of them! Out!

Oh, and since I'm mentioning germy people, I'm all for a light and buzzer that goes off when someone exits a restroom and did not wash their hands, accompanied by an announcement----"Attention! This person did not wash their hands! They are icky and contact with them should be avoided!" That may sound dire to some people, but hey, I've been attacked twice in one week and I just know it's because of one of those non-hand-washers!!!

Just out of curiousity, has anyone else had similar experience with attacks by lurking viruses at new jobs? I realize that this is not the usual type of question one might be asked on a knitting blog, but I'd be curious to know all the same! Unfortunately, I really didn't want to make a virus the subject of possibly the only post I'll have time for this week, but my brain is too fogged at the moment to think of anything else...Did I already say this?....ugh.

I have actually had time to complete about 20 rows of knitting this week! I know that doesn't sound like much, but I've been away from the house for 13-14 hours each day, so I consider that a stupendous feat! Unfortunately, 20 rows does not make for enough progress to bother with pictures---at least pictures that don't look almost exactly like the last ones I took.

But a pictureless post is too boring, especially with attack by viruses as the subject. So if you didn't click away in disgust or boredom already, here's a couple of more pictures from my lovely recent vacation, when I was carefree and unhindered by viral acquisition....

Here's a picture of cute husband with a lorikeet at the aquarium...

Here's one from our cruise of Alamitos Bay on the little electric boat...

These are baby jellyfish in a natural breeding ground area in one of the alcoves of the bay. They've been breeding there for as long as anyone can remember, but nobody knows why...

Kinda look like viruses, don't they? (okay, I'll stop...)

And a couple of more acquarium pics....a lion fish...

and a very lacey-looking seahorse (in case you can't tell, his head is facing downward) Very cool!...

Next time: Knottykitty attempts to exchange her current superpower for a much better one---like the ability to complete one FO per day, even on a work day! Yeah!